Sharlotka (Шарлотка) is a Russian apple cake, it’s delicate and light. This apple sharlotka recipe is so quick and easy to make. The texture is perfect; soft and airy, and the sweet cake is balanced with the perfect amount of tartness from the apples. Russian cake and it’s so simple to make. Wonderful to have with your morning tea or as an afternoon snack.
- 4-6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 green apples
- Preheat your oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- Peel the apples and cut into small, thin pieces.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they are pale yellow and foamy.
- Add the sour cream to the batter.
- Dissolve the baking soda in vinegar and add to the batter also. Mix well to combine.
- Add the flour to the batter and mix just until the flour is incorporated.
- Grease a 10 inch round cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Add the apples to the prepared cake pan and pour the batter over the apples and distribute evenly over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until the sharlotka is golden, or when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Run an offset spatula or butter knife around the edges of the cake pan and flip the cake over onto a cooling rack. The parchment paper will peel right off. Allow it to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Place the sharlotka onto a serving platter. Dust with icing sugar.