Russian Holodets is a cold meat jelly, traditionally made for the holiday table. This Russian Holodets recipe is made with chicken meat. Holodets is eaten cold out of the refrigerator, and spread with horseradish or mustard.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bayleafs
- 1 kg chicken thigh and legs
- 1 large onion
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 tsp clear gelatine
- 4 cup water
- fresh parsley
- Place your chicken into a deep pan with water. We going to cook the chicken on low medium heat for 2 hours.
- Cut your onion roughly, cut your carrots. Add all the other ingredients expect gelatine and parsley into your pot with chicken. Bring water to a boil and skim off the foam.
- After two hours, siv your chicken and keep all the liquid. Dissolve your gelatine in hot water and add into your chicken liquid. Mix well.
- Once chicken has cooled down, we going to separate it from all the bones and skin and place into a different bowl.
- Cut your carrots if you wish to use them into smaller pieces.
- Prepare the dishes you will serve your holodets in. Add carrots first, then chicken and minced garlic. Taste the chicken liquid if its seasoned well enough. Then add the liquid into each dish.
- Refrigerate chicken holodets until its firm and set, this might take several hours. Best to leave overnight.
- Enjoy with some black bread and horse radish!