Everyone loves a good Pavlova - and this recipe couldn't be simpler. Use other fruits you like, if desired. Piled high with fresh seasonal fruit, this pavlova recipe is an absolute summer show-stopper. Pavlova is a light, airy meringue topped with fruit slices and whipped cream. Legend says that it was created in honor of Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova on her visit to Australia and New Zealand for a ballet tour early in the 20th century. This creamy dessert is the perfect end to a summer's meal.
- 4 egg whites
- 250 g caster sugar
- 500 g different berries, strawberries, raspberries & blackberries
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 shot of amaretto
- 300-350 ml double cream
- Preheat your oven to 150C OR 300 F. Using a pencil, mark out the circumference of a dinner plate on baking parchment. Whisk the egg whites with a hand mixer or kitchen aid until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the meringue looks glossy.
- Spread the meringue inside the circle, creating a crater by making the sides a little higher than the middle. Bake for 1 hr, then turn off the heat and let the Pavlova cool completely inside the oven.
- When the meringue is cool, chop the strawberries. Whip the cream with the remaining icing sugar and amaretto, and spread it over the meringue.
- Layer the cake, with meringue, then cream, berries and repeat. Enjoy with cup or tea or coffee!