Herring & Potato Salad
Pickled herring with boiled potato and onion, served as staple food in Russia and Latvia for centuries. We cannot imagine Midsummer or Christmas celebrations without it. And it is still usually served the old, pickled way. This is a recipe for the more Baltic-style herring, which is first pickled and then serves as a starter - zakuska with a shot of vodka. The sliced red onion give a lovely crunchy texture. Perfect for a picnic, or enjoyed as a starter, this makes an appetising alternative to the standard potato salad. Tasty, inexpensive and easy to prepare, this dish make a satisfying choice.
- 1 large potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 fillets of herring
- Half of lemon
- Fresh parsley or dill
- 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
- Salt, sugar and pepper
- Boil your potato for 20-25 min depending on its size.
- Cut your red onion into disks, place into a bowl, pour the lemon juice over and add seasoning. Mix everything in and leave aside for 25-30 min.
- Cool down your potato, cut into circles and use a cookie cutter for a nice shape. This is optional.
- Cut your herring into nice bite size pieces.
- Mix everything in a bowl, add more seasoning and oil and mix gently.
- Serve as a starter with a drink! Enjoy!