Chilled Berry Oats with Rosewater & Almonds
Oats are delicious, creamy and so good for you! Even my gluten-free friends may still be able to eat them (be sure to check the packaging to see where and how they were processed). Over on Facebook last week, I shared this article highlighting new research out of Harvard University that supports just how great this wholegrain is for good health and longevity. Summer ‘porridge’ involves soaking your oaks overnight, with delicious toppings, leaving you no excuse to skip breakfast the next day. Best of all, it only requires 5 min prep the night before! To serve: Eat straight from the jar, or spoon into a bowl and top with additional nuts, seeds, berries, yoghurt, and/or other fruit. Don’t be afraid to mix up the recipe to include your favourite ingredients! Try substituting berries for other summer fruits, such as plums or peaches. In the cooler months, try baked apple or pear and use pure apple juice instead of milk. Almond butter or tahini would be a tasty addition if you choose to use banana instead of berries (note – in this case leave out the rosewater and use cinnamon instead!).
- 1/2 cup (or more!) thinly sliced strawberries
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
- a dash vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp rosewater
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened yoghurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Combine all ingredients, except for the strawberries, in a medium bowl, gently mixing until just combined.
- In a clear glass jar, layer a couple of spoons of oat mix with a few sliced berries, and repeat until the jar is full.
- Seal jar, and leave in the fridge overnight.