The Red Masala Prawns
The Red Masala is a blend of spices that I will definitely be keeping in my cupboard from now on. It can be easily put together and stored up to 2 months. Perfect for fish or sea food dishes and can be used a marinade.
Ingredients for Red Masala
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 4 cardamom pods 1
- /2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dry red chilli
- Roast the cumin seeds, red chilli, cardamom pods and coriander seeds. This should take 2-3 minutes on low heat, make sure the spices smell fragrant but do not burn.
- Add the whole spices and all the other spices into a spice grinder and grind to a fine powder. It should have a predominantly red colour and no turmeric is required.
- Store away in an airtight jar.
Method for the Red Masala Prawn
- Marinate prawns with the juice of 2 tsp lime and a pinch of salt.
- Finely chop 1 red onion and 2 garlic cloves.
- Fry the onion and garlic in 1 tsp butter. Add 1 heaped tsp of ginger garlic to the pan along with this and fry for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Cut a fresh green chilli in half and add to the pan.
- Add 2 heaped tsp of the Red Masala mix to the onions and saute for a few minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp of tomato concentrate and cook further on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Finally add 4 tbsp of double cream and stir thoroughly.
- Sit the prawns on top of this sauce and add the lime juice from the marinade.
- Put the lid on and let the prawns cook through on low heat till pink. Sprinkle some coriander and add extra salt if required.