How to prevent diabetes - 3 easy steps
There are currently 4 million people in the UK living with Diabetes and a further 11.5 million people are at risk of getting Type 2 diabetes. This week Diabetes UK are running their national awareness week to highlight information around the disease.
If not managed correctly diabetes can lead to the following:
- Increased risk of premature death and disability.
- Increased risk of blindness, organ failure and heart attack.
- Can result in the loss of limbs.
It is important to differentiate between the two types of diabetes.
Type 1 is an auto-immune disorder which means the body actually attacks and destroys its own tissue. The body cannot produce any insulin at all and people suffering from the disease have to use regular insulin injections to keep glucose levels normal. Type 1 typically occurs in childhood but can occur at any age. If not diagnosed quickly it can become life-threatening. It cannot be treated by diet, but a healthy diet is important for optimal management.
Type 2 is caused when the body produces insulin but cannot use it properly - insulin resistance. This generally occurs due to poor diet and over eating - 90% of people in the UK with diabetes have Type 2 diabetes. However, Type 2 is very preventable by adapting a healthy lifestyle and ensuring you eat good, quality food and perform regular exercise.
3 easy steps to manage insulin and Type 2 diabetes:
- Lose weight - follow a healthy eating plan to help regulate glucose and blood sugar levels.
- Exercise - through training you are able to improve insulin sensitivity, reduce body fat and improve cardiovascular performance. Here are 3 workouts you can do anywhere.
- Eat vegetables and protein at every meal. Avoid processed foods and eat lots of fibre. Take a look at some of our easy, good-for-you recipes and have healthy meals delivered straight to your door.
At Mindful Chef we never include any processed foods or refined carbohydrates. Instead our recipe boxes are loaded full of vegetables and high quality produce.