Lamb Tagine with Apricots
The RawSpiceBar’s Ras el Hanout Spices build up a lovely depth of flavour that brings out the best in the lamb and apricots.
- 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lb lamb shoulder
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 1/2 cup low-salt chicken stock
- 1/2 cup halved dried apricots
- Steamed couscous
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 tsp Ras el Hanout Spices
- Place chickpeas in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by 2″. Let soak overnight.
- Drain chickpeas; return to same saucepan. Add 2 whole garlic cloves and cinnamon stick. Add water to cover by 2″.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until chickpeas are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown lamb on all sides, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer lamb to a medium bowl. Add onion to pot; reduce heat to medium, season with salt, and sauté until soft and beginning to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic, and RawSpiceBar’s Ras el Hanout Spices. Stir for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and lamb with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil. Add 2 1/2 cups stock. Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Stir in chickpeas; simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes. Stir in apricots; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon couscous onto a large, shallow platter, forming a large well in center. Spoon tagine into center. Sprinkle cilantro over.