Perfect paired with most grains and meats, this strawberry salsa is nicely balanced between savoury and sweet so it goes with pretty much anything. A winning combination is lamb and couscous, I might try using this dish as a garnish for a taco instead of a traditional tomato salsa next. Get experimenting and tell me what you think it goes best with. If the warm weather isn’t getting you excited enough about summer, it’s berry season at this time of year. Strawberries are one of the many Seasonal Berries right now and are so tasty (particularly with dark chocolate) and an incredibly versatile ingredient. That said most people only ever use them for desserts or breakfast. Here I have given you one of many ways that you can incorporate strawberries into a savoury dish. Strawberries are a healthy, low calorie food. They contain essential vitamins and minerals which include vitamins C, B6, K, fibre, folic acid, potassium and amino acids and are rich in anti-oxidants.
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 1/2 a red onion
- 1 large handful of coriander
- 1/2 a lemon
- Dice up your red onion pretty finely and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the strawberries into small pieces and add to the onions.
- Finely chop the coriander, having removed all stalks and add to the mixing bowl.
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon, mix the contents of the bowl and serve.
- NOTES Strawberry substitutions = mango, Coriander substitutions = basil or mint