Russian Salad | Olivier Salad Recipe
Olivier salad is the most traditional Russian and Eastern European dish. It used to be made for holidays, parties and other special occasions. New Year’s Eve is the biggest holiday of all, and “Olivie” would be on almost all the tables as the clock would strike midnight. The ingredients are quite common and are pantry staples for most. It resembles a potato salad, of sorts, with the addition of other cooked vegetables and meat. In this recipe I did not use meat, so its a vegetarian Olivie. All the components of the salad mingle and meld to create a hearty, comforting salad.
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 3 large carrots
- 6 eggs
- 1 can green peas
- 6-8 pickled gherkins or pickles
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- Pork sausage
- Boil your potatoes and carrots for about 20-25 min. You dont want to overcook your vegetables, because we want them nice and crisp.
- Boil your eggs for 10 min in a separate pan..
- Cut your gherkins, carrots, potatoes and boiled eggs into cubes.
- Mix all the ingredients together with mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
- Serve on a plate with some toasted rye bread and dill. Enjoy!