Rhubarb Muffins Recipe
These delicious Cinnamon & Rhubarb muffins have a touch of tartness and sweetness from fresh rhubarb.These fabulous muffins have a crunchy sweet sugar topping and are great with tea or coffee. This recipe makes 12 muffins. What a pleasure it is to set out a basket of these rhubarb muffins, although the basket doesn't stay full for very long! They keep well for several days and stay soft and moist inside, just simply amazing!
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3-6 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 30 g chopped walnuts
- 100 g stalks of diced rhubarb
- 110 g buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- half egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 100 g dark brown soft sugar
- pinch of teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 160g OR 1 cup + 2 tbsp of plain flour
- Preheat oven to 180 C /350 F. Grease 12-hole muffin tins or line with paper cases.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the dark brown soft sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and buttermilk with an electric mixer or stand mixer until smooth. Pour in the dry ingredients and mix by hand just until blended. Stir in the rhubarb and walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling almost to the top. In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, caster sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of this mixture on top of each muffin.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed, about 25 minutes. Cool in the tins for at least 10 minutes before removing.
- Enjoy them hot or cold, they keep well for several days.